'Deadliest Catch' star with ties to Sarasota pleads guilty to sexual assault of teen girl

This post was originally published on this site

A star on the reality show “Deadliest Catch” with ties to Sarasota will avoid jail time after pleading guilty in Washington state to sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl.

Edgar Hansen, who appears in the Discovery Channel series about fishing vessels, pleaded guilty to fourth-degree assault with sexual motivation last week, according to court documents obtained by the Seattle Times. He will receive a 364-day suspended jail sentence and must pay $1,653 in court costs and undergo sexual deviancy evaluation and treatment.

According to a Snohomish County District Court affidavit, the unidentified victim told her therapist she was sexually assaulted by Hansen on Sept. 30 at a Mountlake Terrace, Washington residence. The victim said Hansen kissed her and touched her in a sexual manner.

In a statement requested by the judge, Hansen admitted to kissing and touching the victim inappropriately.

“I committed this assault for the purpose of my own sexual gratification,” Hansen said in the statement. “I am very sorry for that conduct and for the harm I have caused (the victim) and I have commenced treatment to ensure that nothing like this assault ever happens again.”

Hansen, who lives in Mountlake Terrace, is the deck boss of the “Northwestern” fishing vessel and the younger brother of the ship’s captain Sig Hansen. The Hansen family and the “Northwestern” have appeared on “Deadliest Catch,” which follows fishing vessels that work the Bering Sea.

Edgar visited Sarasota in September to meet with utility workers restoring power in the wake of Hurricane Irma. He told the Herald-Tribune he owns property in the Sarasota area, had been visiting there for about eight years and was thinking of becoming a resident.