MARSHFIELD, MASS. (WHDH) – A second sewing needle was found inside a package ofÂ Twizzlers candy in Marshfield after police warned the public on Thursday of a young trick-or-treater who was given a Twizzlers Twist with a similar needle hidden inside.
An unpunctured package was received by a 3-year-old boy in the Brant Rock area on Halloween, prompting the warning fromÂ Chief Phil Tavares, according to police.
Carol Keating, the boyâ€™s grandmother, contacted the police after his mother made the horrifying discovery and snapped a photo.
â€œIt doesnâ€™t anger me. It really frightens me,â€ she said. â€œTo be honest with you, I really never found a reason to go through the candy but Iâ€™m really glad my daughter told me.â€
A second family later told police that they also found a needle in their childâ€™s candy after hearing the warning, according to Tavares. They also trick-or-treated in the Brant Rock area.
â€œWe got a report from a different community member that their child went out trick-or-treating in the same neighborhood,â€ he said. â€œWhen they got home, they inspected the candy after our warning and discovered a small piece of metal consistent with a needle inside a package of their Twizzlers.â€
Tavares said the second trick-or-treater likely would have ingested the candy if it were not for the initial warning.
The Marshfield Police Department is investigating the incidents as possible criminal acts.
â€œThis was supposed to be a night that was fun for the children,â€ he said. â€œAnyone caught giving out candy contaminated with injury-causing substances faces five years in state prison.â€
Parents are being advised to throw away any Twizzlers their kids may have received and to inspect all their other Halloween candy.
Similar incidents involving tampered candy have been reported in Sturbridge, Oak Bluffs and Salem, New Hampshire.